- 1 eggplant, peeled, medium diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper,
plus more for seasoning
- 4 tablespoons any The Smiling
Olive olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 3/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Pinch smoky paprika
- 1 French baguette,
sliced on bias
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant with 2
tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange the eggplant on a half sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Reserve
the bowl. Put it in the oven and bake until nicely charred, about 15 to 20
In a large sauté pan
over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic.
Cook until the garlic browns, about for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the onion.
Cook until onion softens, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove the eggplant from the oven and
transfer it back to same bowl it was tossed in prior to baking. Add the onion mixture, the olives, capers, and roasted red peppers. Toss
to combine. Add the champagne
vinegar, fresh parsley and oregano and toss
until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Cover and refrigerate for 25 to
30 minutes to cool and marry the flavors.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining
2 tablespoons of olive
oil, salt and pepper, to taste, and the
smoky paprika. Spread the oil mixture on both sides of each piece of bread.
Heat a grill
pan over high heat and toast the bread
until grill marks form, flipping once. Remove the eggplant from the
refrigerator and spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons on top of each piece of
Posted on Tue, October 7, 2014
by Elizabeth Contreas filed under